Go down
View user profile

Betrayal and Redemption

on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 pm
Betrayal and Redemption

“I watched Hassan get raped. I said to no one…A part of me was hoping someone would wake up and hear, so I wouldn’t have to live with this lie anymore.”
—While Amir was lying in the dark, with nothing but feeling his own soul rot with guilt—he did not come to the rescue of his friend while Hassan was assaulted. He thought he betrayed his childhood sweetheart which made this sin a enduring and cyclical pain in The Kite Runner.

For most of the novel, Amir attempted to make redemptions to deal with guilt by shunning it. However, doing this obviously did nothing to redeem himself, so his guilt endured. Later he realized that the only way he was going to live with his remorse is to ignore Hassan, so he didn’t need to think about his sin. 

Nevertheless, Amir’s guilt was so great that he could not tolerate to have Hassan under the same roof, so he committed another sin: he lied to his father and made it look like Hassan had committed a sin and stolen Amir’s property, “I took a couple of the envelopes of cash from the pile of gifts and my watch, and tiptoed out…I lifted Hassan’s mattress and planted my new watch and a handful of Afghani bills under it…I knocked on Baba’s door and told what I hoped would be the last in a long line of shameful lies.”

Ali and Hassan could not live in Baba’s house anymore with the thought that Hassan had been accused of stealing something from his master, so they decided to leave.  Finally, Amir thought he could start his life again and forgot about the sins he committed against Hassan.  However, Amir’s fell in guilt again.  Later on in his life he had a dream about Hassan’s death: “His hands are tied behind him with roughly woven rope…He is kneeling on the street…He lifts his face.I see a faint scar above his upper lip…I see the barrel first.Then the man standing behind him.”Amir didn't get over his sins simply after Hassan was out of baba’s house.  His sin still haunted him in his adult years.  In fact, his guilt became so great that he felt he was actually responsible for Hassan’s death.

The second event related to the theme of betray and redemption is when Amir found out about Baba’s betrayal of Ali. He realized that everything he thought he knew and understood about Baba is false, but there was nothing he could really do in that situation since his dad had been dead for fifteen years. Rescuing Sohrab from Assef was not enough to redeem Amir. Only when Amir decided to take Sohrab to the U.S. and offered his nephew a chance in happiness did Amir took the necessary steps toward the atonement.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum