Ryan's Lit Class Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chocobo_EricW

Buster Friendly - Two Assumptions Empty Buster Friendly - Two Assumptions

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 pm
Buster Friendly, “Earth’s most knee-slapping TV comic”, is a TV show that is on for 23 hours a day, a frequency as crazy as virus. For Buster Friendly, I have made two assumptions. The first assumption is that I assume that Buster Friendly is the result of a utilitarian society. In this assumption, I assume that the society after WWT has become a society without deeper thoughts of art. From the contents of Buster Friendly, we can easily find that these contents are quite boring and snackable. “Amanda Werner and several other beautiful, elegant, conically breasted foreign ladies, from unspecified vaguely defined countries, plus a few bucolic so-called humorists, comprised Buster’s perpetual core of repeats” From this sentence, it is clear that the show is repeating in some way. May be this is because that people are too busy surviving to consider about humor and art. Buster Friendly’s low-quality jokes indicate a utilitarian society. The second assumption is about Mars and the emigrants. I assume that Buster Friendly has some link with those colony people. Maybe people outside Earth thinks that people on Earth are remainders of the past savage war: they consider Earth people as barbarians living in bad environment and Buster Friendly’s jokes are the laughter from those emigrants. This kind of circumstances reminds me a similar circumstance in Brave New World, when civilized people laughing at the Indian boy John. In Brave New World, civilized people think John’s life without soma – a kind of drug – and other modern technology that can make life easier is ridiculous. Same here, I assume that emigrants think that life without androids to help is ridiculous. Buster laughing Mercer is just like Ford against Jesus in Brave New World.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum