Go down
Olivia Xie

The Opinion of the Existentialism

on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 pm
In my opinion, the existence before essence means that the human beings have existence, which can be also regarded as be born, without an exact and specific essence. For example, the pencils are made for writing and painting. This purpose is determined before the appearance of the pencils and cannot be changed; the essence of pencils is made before existence. But the human beings are different. They are not be given the essence before their existence, and their essence is various. Because there are not any designer set our characteristics and behavior before our appearance, and these all depend on our choice after we grow up.
The Nexus-6 androids in the novel “do androids dream of electric sheep” in my sight actually do not exist. During the reading, we knew that all the androids were made for serving the people who immigrant to Mars. This setting could not be altered and was decided before the existence of the androids. Even Rachael, the main character in the novel that did not know her identity at first and thought herself as a real people, was designed to help Rosen company successfully create a kind of androids that were just like a real human being. This essence had already been set before her existence. In fact, the behaviors and the attitudes towards Rick of Rachael are all based on this purpose. When she helped Rick to arrest the escaped androids, she just wanted to record the problem why the Nexus-6 androids would be recognized as the androids and report these information to the company in order to accomplish her essence. In addition, although the escaped androids, such as Pris, wanted to change their essence from working as the servers, their essence had designed before their existence. This fact could not change.
Therefore, I thought the Nexus-6 androids in the novel did not really exist because their essence had already been decided.
View user profile

Re: The Opinion of the Existentialism

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:00 am
Regarding the example of pencils in the 1st paragraph, I have a different idea. A pencil has its value, so it is hard to say that it does not exist. In my opinion, anything—regardless of whether its essence is given or not—exists. We write with pencils every day, so if they do not exist, what are we writing with? Actually, anything that could change this world has its own value, thus exists.
View user profile

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm
In the article of Olivia, it is inferred that existence is nonsense to the android and the android's essence is previously determined. It is written that "the human beings have existence, which can be also regarded as be born,without an exact and specific essence". But the born of android also accords with the definition of existence given by Olivia, how can it be defined as not existing. Also, how is the relationship between essence and existence revealed, the article doesn't give a clear explanation why existence is determined by whether their essence had already been decided.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum