Go down
View user profile

Essence of androids

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:25 am
Existentialists believe that "Existence precedes essence", which indicates that human beings exist before they have essence and also they create their own essence or values and determine a meaning for their life. However, is the sentence also true for androids? We should first look into the facts provided in the novel. Initially, the essence for the androids is decided before they exist: The purpose of the androids is the serve the humans, and whether an android has been manufactured or not, this purpose would not change. Nevertheless, after the new androids--the Nexus-6 androids--were created, things started to change. Is the essence of the Nexus-6 androids still to serve humans? Will the essence for the Nexus-6 androids change throughout their living? The story shows that several Nexus-6 androids had already formed their own thoughts and could not endure their life of serving the humans and escaped to earth. This already demonstrates that the essence of the androids starts to progress. Moreover, another Nexus-6 android, Rachael, is clearly not to serve the humans. "To existentialists, human beings—through their consciousness—create their own values and determine a meaning for their life because the human being does not possess any inherent identity or value. That identity or value must be created by the individual. By posing the acts that constitute them, they make their existence more significant."[1] On the basis of the story so far, will the new androids form their own identity and form their own essence? The answer might be positive.

[1]Wikipedia: Existence_precedes_essence
View user profile

Re: Essence of androids

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 am
I definitely agree with Crystal's idea that human beings do not possess any inherent identity or value because I think that the identity of human beings are shaped by themselves through their different life paths. Also, I find it interesting that Crystal believes androids are able to form their own identity, which contradicts the concept that androids are born with essence. Personally speaking, I think it is because the loss of identity that enables us to distinguish androids from human beings. Perhaps after reading the later chapters of the novel, we are able to find that if there is a possibility that androids can form their own identity.
View user profile

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm
Although I agree with your argument that androids form their own identity and form their own essence, I don’t think your evidence perfectly prove this point. You mentioned that the essence of the androids starts to progress when they decide to break free from human and escape to earth. You perceive this particular decision as an internal thought and self-consciousness of android. However, I think this is merely a conditioned response that doesn’t require a true essence. This kind of phenomena of escaping from painful jobs can also be seen in domestic animals like cattle. Sometimes cattle will escape from farmland to avoid overworked jobs.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum