Ryan's Lit Class Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://ryanslitclass.666forum.com

Analyzing the Impact of Quotes Empty Analyzing the Impact of Quotes

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:26 am
Analyzing Quotes Journal Prompt

Please reply to this topic with your analysis of the following prompt:

Brainstorming Tips: Think about how this quote relates to individual characters, impactful events, and the real world. Afterwards, reflect on your own life and what evaluate what truth--if any, this quote may speak of.

"It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime" (Hosseini 154).
Kelly77

Analyzing the Impact of Quotes Empty Re: Analyzing the Impact of Quotes

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:55 pm
In the story, almost all significant events happen within a few days, sometimes a single day or less. Amir and Hassan's relationship ended when Amir saw Hassan got raped but didin't help. Though Hassan was still loyal and tried to make up for the wrongs he had done, if he had done any, Amir couldn't treat Hassan as he used to anymore. Seeing Hassan was merely a pain for him, a pain that reminded him of his sin. A few months later, when Amir finally couldn't withstand staying with Hassan, he framed Hassan to let Baba expel him. This single act, which was less than an hour perhaps, not only officially ended Amir and Hassan's connection, but also Ali and Baba's which had been there for more than forty years. Another instance is the invasion of Russia. What Baba had built for his entire life, his reputation and a comfortable home, was all gone when Baba and Amir headed for Pakistan. "After everything he'd built, planned, fought for, fretted over, dreamed of, this was the summation of his like: one disappointing son and two suitcases." (Hosseini 135) Another instance is where Amir tried to be friends with Soraya. He had taken a long time to try to be friends with her, but it ended so easily when Soraya's father threw away Amir's story.

In real life, there are also many instances where events that could only last so long changed one's whole life. One example is car accident. It might be a matter of few seconds, and the person who got hit loses everything. It might seem unfair, but that's how life works. It is like rain, one is never able to escape from being hit, and everybody has the same chance to be hit--however bad or good he or she may be.

Mine was when I chose to follow my parents to go to Japan. I was asked whether I wanted to stay with grandparents in Shanghai or go with them, and I answered I wanted to go with them. Those six words really altered my path. Hadn't I uttered those words, I would probably stay at China and have a very different life.
余Owen

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 pm
In the story, the event that really inflence the whole life of Amir was when Assef raped Hassan and he didn't go to help. This was the event that really changed Amir's life because this event let Amir couldn't face Hasaan because he felt guilty after doing so, but feels even more when Hasaan could forgive him. And this event triggered another lie Amir said, which was when he said Hasaan stole the watch that was given by his father. Amir felt more guilty when Hasaan didn't deny this lie, and later on, he started his new life in US. Moreover, Amir said that being in US was the chance for him to change himself, to wash out his sin, but at the same time to run away from it.
In the real life, maybe people think there isn't a choice that will affect the whole life, but this is indeed what really will happen. For example, deciding whether to study or not, whether to experience drug or not. All these questions and the choices people make is going to affect the whole life. One of the choices that affect my life was when I chose to come to this school but not another that i could have gone to, although I don't know what kind of life I would have there, it is absolutely going to be different from the life I am having now.
felipeeeeee

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:22 pm
In the story, it is Amir’s actions—or more accurately his attitude—that he inflicts on Hassan which leads to bigger and harsher repercussions. As a kid, he treats someone of the same age, and who was raised in the same household, as a lesser person—all merely based on their different race and status in society. Amir lets Hassan iron his clothes, make his breakfast, and even potentially (doubtfully) eat dirt for him. This is problematic for kids at Amir’s age who lack the wisdom to make better decisions in their lives. Mentally, he tries to compensate by having Hassan as his play-buddy…not his friend. By the social norms, he cannot afford to go against the world and consider Hassan as his friend. He also lacks the courage to do it. The problem escalates when Assef rapes Hassan, leaving Amir in nothing but pure shame, guilt, and conflicting thoughts about his actions. We see that he cannot escape from his past actions, even if we see them as small at the time. Eventually, each event in our lives can matter and have a bigger impact on our lives.

Fortunately, most of the smallest or short events in my life were fairly positive. As a middle school student, I had no motivation in my life into trying to be a decent student. My grades ranged from bellow-average to average. I couldn’t find out the purpose of school and studying, even if it was my parents money, I wanted to not care about my education anymore. It changed when I watched a film called Koyaanisqatsi. It was a weird experience for me, but it certainly triggered one of my “turn on” sensors—suddenly all I wanted was to do hard work and to outperform myself every time. I joined drama club in an attempt to learn new things and get more experience into the theatrical world…a couple of years later I was able to co-direct a few plays while also earning the spot of assistant teacher of the club. I also found other passions, such as film and literature. The intention was to interrelate everything, and eventually I was able to transform myself into what I have become today.

In my opinion, this comment is not to sound arrogant or cocky, as I still have a long road ahead of me. But the point is to show how my confidence and hard work turned into positive and impactful factors of my life. It also shows the course-change of my life, from a goalless kid to one with a clear goal in life. This is eventually what our standard as human should be.
KEVI77

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:46 pm
"You never know, tomorrow, and accidents, which will come first."

This is a quote that has been so overly used. But it’s true indeed. Russian’s invasion forced Baba to abandon everything he had fought for in Kabul — in less than 24 hours, all Baba left about his hometown was merely a handful of dirt. Life is cruel like this, because life is consisted of countless instant moments and there is no such thing as “eternity”. Although the “cause and effect” is one of the most fundamental natural law, the outcome of every last moment can never be foreseen because every moment of life is independent and unpredictable — it could either be the consequence of the past, or the beginning of a new course.

The randomness is rooted in every single life, thus every life is supposed to be fair in this aspect. However, there is some moments of life that is more decisive than others. As for me, once I was running towards the entrance of my neighborhood. As I rushed through the entrance, there was a street in front while my vision was blocked by the wall of the entrance at a specific angle — behind that angle was a car that I totally had not expected. I was still rushing, but right before I took my step across the street, my headphone dropped — I halted, 0.5 second before I was stunned by a speeding car grinding the asphalt that is about 30 CENTIMETERS in front of me. It’s still breathtaking for me to reminisce on that day and imagine how my whole life could have been altered if my headphone did not drop at that moment. Viva la vida.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum